Week 12: "Lime"


The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. [Bebito's] fingers will soon begin to open and close, his/her toes will curl, his/her eye muscles will clench, and his/her mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, [Bebito] will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His/her intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his/her abdominal cavity about now, and his/her kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.

Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in [Bebito's] brain, synapses are forming furiously. His/her face looks unquestionably human. His/her eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his/her head, and his/her ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, [Bebito] is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.


I think I'm starting to feel a little better, aside from being sore from laying around so much the last several weeks. Seriously, there are times when my moans sound like I'm 20 years older than I am because of my aching muscles or cracking bones and the scary thing is I'm not even that far along -- how am I going to sound when I'm 8 or 9 months pregnant? I don't even want to think about it. At least this past weekend I was able to get out and get some exercise and enjoy some of the weather with Teirney and his parents.

Food still doesn't taste the same. I feel like I'm going through the motions just because I need to eat, but it certainly isn't "enjoyable." The foods that sound best to me are usually vegetables and fruit, which isn't a bad thing, but sometimes my stomach doesn't want to digest it. Ahhh...I can't win.

I had my 12 week appointment with the new midwife at the Women's Pavilion today. So far, so good. My blood pressure was 120/78, which is good. We also got to listen to the baby's heartbeat for the first time. It was amazing -- so fast. The midwife said there's definitely a baby in there and the heartbeat was strong. That was good news. I was so excited about that news in general, I forgot to ask what the "beat per minute" was. Oh well.

The Pavilion itself is beautiful and the surroundings are a dramatic change from Aurora Sinai where I first went. I am so glad I decided to switch -- this is exactly the kind of place I pictured when I imagined having a baby. I also really liked Cheri, the midwife -- she is very experienced. She has been a midwife for over 25 years and even handles high risk pregnancies, due to her experience, which most midwives do not do. Even though she is the only midwife at West Allis Memorial Hospital, she will do everything in her power to be the one to deliver my baby, which I was very pleased to hear. She said unless there is some unforeseen circumstance where she can't be there, she makes every effort to deliver all her patients' babies day or night. I felt very comfortable talking things over with her and she spent about an hour with me just talking and answering all my questions -- exactly what I hoped for in a midwife.

She gave me the option for the Ultra-Screen to screen for Down Syndrome and other abnormalities, but I opted against it. Insurance won't cover it and I just figure if we ever have to cross that bridge, we'll have enough time to do research after the baby is born without me worrying about it through the whole pregnancy. We're just trusting and praying our baby will be perfectly normal, and if not, we'll love and adore him/her just the same anyway.

My next appointment will be my 20 week ultrasound on October 30. We plan on finding out what we're having so hopefully Bebito will cooperate that day...we'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No twins? I don't really don't care, because it doesn't matter. I'm going to be an aunt!

Alicia Smith Osland said...

awe, your little lime! How exciting to hear the heart beat!!!!