Week 26: "Cucumber"

The network of nerves in your baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. She may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other. She's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when she's born and takes that first gulp of air. And she's continuing to put on baby fat. She now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel. If you're having a boy, his testicles are beginning to descend into his scrotum — a trip that will take about two to three days. (www.babycenter.com)

==============================
I am in complete disbelief as to how fast these weeks are going -- my third trimester is quickly approaching. Here is my 26 week belly pic -- not as good as last week since I'm back to propping the camera up and running to the wall -- it's quite a sight to see (my mom took last week's picture).




Aside from my lack of agility and some aches and pains, I'm feeling really good and I realize that this is probably the best I will feel in my pregnancy, so I should be stepping it up a notch to get lots done now while I feel this good. I was hoping we would be able to paint the nursery this month, but realistically I think it will be the first part of January. The crib and dresser should be delivered shortly thereafter. My goal is to have the nursery completely done in January, so that I'm not saving anything for February, since you never know what can happen.

Bebita has been such a good little girl -- she has her active days and then she has her quieter days. We have a game we like to play called "belly poke." When she is squirming around in there, I'll poke my belly where I feel some kicks and then she responds back...it's so cute! My belly is also starting to itch a lot more -- last week especially. Guess that's a good sign. Just hoping I'll be one of the lucky ones and not grow too fast at one time -- I'd love to avoid the stretch marks, but we'll see.

I'm trying to stay away from sugar as much as possible, but I was so bad last week. My mom and I did Christmas baking -- I think that says it all. I couldn't waste the broken cookies, so I had to eat them. Poor Bebita didn't know what hit her. And when her daddy found out, he was quick to give me a loving scolding -- he's going to be a protective daddy. My mom and I had such a good time though and I was so glad to have been able to spend the week with her. We did lots of Christmas decorating and since I'm not decorating our apartment this year, I was so glad I was able to get my "decorating fix" in there.

Good news! Yesterday I had my endocrinology appointment and the doctor said that I don't need to come back. My last two lab results had come back normal and he didn't see a reason for me to keep coming back to get it checked. He said to take note of any changes that may indicate my thyroid isn't working and if I notice anything to come in, but otherwise, no need to go back!!! Yay! He said he thought it could've just been a fluke that the August lab results came back abnormal...lets hope so.

One shocking truth at my appointment was my weight. Since my last appointment with the midwife only a week and a half ago, I had gained 6 pounds! Yes, 6 pounds in a week and half. That sounds like an awful lot to me. I realize everyone is different, but I'm hoping that it slows down in the next few weeks as I don't want to get "the talk" from my midwife. My next appointment is Christmas Eve morning -- I'll be 28 weeks. I'm scheduled to have the 1-hour glucose test that day as well. I'm praying I pass! If not, I'm on to the 3-hour test...ugh.

Teirney's work Christmas party is on Friday night and I will be meeting some of the attorneys he works with for the first time. The food options sound fantastic, so Bebita and I are looking forward to it very much.

Well, until next time, goodnight!

Dearest Bebita, we love you so much! "Baby it's cold outside..." so stay snug and warm inside for as long as possible - okay? You are our little treasure and we continue to pray for you daily. May God bless you!



1 comment:

Alicia Smith Osland said...

you look beautiful! I'm sure it's tricky taking photos of yourself.

Glad to hear your thyroid is "normal"!

Yay for the end of the 2nd trimester and now for the 3rd!!!