Positive!!!

So it's official, we're expecting a little bundle of giggles!!! I first got a positive pregnancy test on July 10, 2008, the day before my last day of work at Foley & Lardner in Madison. It was the morning of my going away party and I woke up in the middle of the night to use the restroom when I decided I would take a test since I would be having my going away party at work that night and wasn't sure if I should have a cocktail or not. Teirney was already working in Milwaukee and I was finishing up my week working in Madison before joining him the following week (after a visit with my mom in Marshfield). I remember psyching myself up so I wouldn't be disappointed by thinking "I'm not pregnant," but I just wanted to be sure. It was 3:30 in the morning and my dear, sweet husband was sound asleep 80 miles away when he was rudely awakened by a phone call. "Hi honey, I took a test...it's positive!" Neither one of us was quite awake to realize the full impact of what had just happened, nor had it been in our imagination that we would find this good news out while separated from one another. I was scared and excited all at the same time. So then the waiting began...

Since we were relocating from Madison to Milwaukee, I was told by the midwife in Madison that I should make my first appointment in Milwaukee so that they didn't have to "transfer" my records. So I called a midwife in Milwaukee and they could not get me in for my first appointment until August 4, which seemed like an eternity away -- I didn't even know how far along I was! With packing and the move, I was able to keep my mind off of what was going on inside of my body, until...

I got sick! I started getting sick almost a week after I found out I was pregnant and ever since then it hasn't let up, which has been bitter sweet...a good sign, but not a fun process. I really knew my body was going through a transition when I tried eating several favorite meals and I could only take one bite and then felt sick to my stomach by the mere sight of it. Eating has been a real chore, I have to force myself to do so which makes it very un-enjoyable. However, I need to remember that this too shall pass -- before you know it, I won't be able to put food down. I spoke to my midwife about how sick I've been and she told me to try ginger tea, which has seemed to work -- at least for the last two days. I can really only nibble on food throughout the day. In the meantime, we have moved and I'm trying to get settled in our new apartment, but finding it very difficult to do so with how sick I've been. It will take some time, but we'll get there.

Now, for those of you wondering why we chose the Spanish word "Bebito" (literally meaning "little baby") to refer to our little one, it is because Teirney and I are hoping to raise a bilingual child. Well, "attempt" to anyway. This could be a challenge considering I know very little Spanish, but the plan is for Teirney to talk to the baby in Spanish and I will talk to the baby in English. We'll see, but that is the plan for now. I hope this clears up any questions anyone may have.

No comments: